VLC Media Player (formerly VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable free multimedia playerfor various audio and video formats, including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MP3, and OGG, as well as for DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It also can be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
With a new audio core, hardware decoding and encoding, port to mobile platforms, preparation for Ultra-HD video and a special care to support more formats, 2.1 is a major upgrade for VLC.
Rincewind has a new rendering pipeline for audio, with better effiency, volume and device management, to improve VLC audio support. It supports many new devices inputs, formats, metadata and improves most of the current ones, preparing for the next-gen codecs.
VLC Media Player Features:
- 8K support (hardware decoding is on by default)
- Chromecast/Google Cast support
- HDR and 10 bit video
- HMDI Audio passthrough
- Network browsing for NAS systems
- 360 video and 3D audio
- Modifying subtitle size live
- Drag and drop support
- HD DVD support
- Rewritten video output core and modules, allowing blending in GPU.
- Shader support in the OpenGL output, for conversion, including 10bits.
- Video outputs for Windows 8 and 7, Android, iOS and OS/2.
- Debanding, grain, denoising and anti-flickering filters.
- Deinterlacing filter, including an Inverse Telecine algorithm.
- Resamplers for higher quality audio.
- Dynamic range compressor and karaoke filters.
- Simplification of the audio core for faster processing.
- Audio outputs for iOS, Android and OS/2.
- Multi-threaded decoding for H.264, MPEG-4/Xvid and WebM.
- Support for 10bits codecs, WMV image and some other codecs.
- Rewritten support for images, including jpeg, png, xcf, bmp etc.
- Important changes in RealVideo and Real Format support.
- CrystalHD cards and Android OpenMAX support for hardware decoding.
- And many more features…
What’s new in this version:
– Fix use-after-free when cleaning playlists
– Fix crash on exit on Windows
– Fix HLG tone mapping on some systems like macOS
– Fix screensaver inhibition on Windows XP
– Fix various Direct3D11 crashes
– Fix HDR tone mapping in Direct3d11
– Fix pink screen on Windows
– Fix potential stack buffer overflow with faad
– Enable Cineform HD in avcodec
– macOS: Improve HEVC 10bit performance with Videotoolbox
– android: Add MPEG2 support via MediaCodec
– Fix HEVC decoding with some files on Android/macOS/iOS
– Improve Direct3D11 memory usage
– Improve MKV seeking speed
– Fix xspf base URL handling
– Fix reading mp4 trun with moof based offsets
– Fix adaptive http redirections
– Replace old API, fixing adaptive TLS leak
– Use mime type as fallback for HLS segment type
– Fix subtitle (srt,ssa..) seek when having a single entry
– Flag non default HDMV subset video streams
– Increase TS probing amount for 4K streams
– Miscellaneous MKV, MP4 & AVI crash fixes